Monday, February 9, 2009

Launch

When I began my outreach into the new media community in Greater Washington, DC in May, 2007 many of you encouraged me to blog. I have resisted. In academia you publish at the end of the research process, not along the way. Personally the notion of ‘my blog’ reminded me of my nagging fear that no one really cares about what I have to say.

But I learned from many of you who participated in my study that blogging is a generative exercise where people can learn and grow together through writing. I also learned about how I can use a blog in my research – and this learning is about to change the way I work and learn. For example....

· Blogs are a good, informal way to learn about the themes I may find in my analysis because I can invite others to respond and contribute to my thinking before I put my ideas out into the world in a more authoritative style - like I must do in my final dissertation report.

· Indeed with a blog I can ‘push the learning’ – or- ‘bootstrap’ my analysis because blogging can improve my knowledge and writing. The more I blog/write, the more the quality of my thinking and writing will improve, and as my quality improves, more people may engage, thus ‘pushing the learning’ for us all. As people share their insights, it is likely they will influence my thinking and analysis – and I will learn.

· I can write in takes – do a little analysis, share it, see what comes up. The story of my research can accrete over time and I don’t have come up with everything at once.

· Indeed this way of writing and presenting is more responsive to the way people view and use information today. Information is ephemeral – the world will move on long before I can publish my findings. If I share it a little at a time, others might actually find it useful – now!

· I can use the blog to connect and remain connected with those who expressed interest in my study. Those who asked me to blog, in effect invited me to join in the new media community, not just remain on the outside and study it.

· But blogs are more than a connection; for blogs can also help people learn about their community and mobilize others around issues they care about. For some, blogs are a way of relating to others and making an impact in the world. I hope this will also be so for me.

In February, 2008 after spending many months participating in the new media community in DC, I returned home with buckets of data. I had notes and pictures from the dozens of meet-ups and un-events I attended, transcripts from dozens of interviews with people who were said to have a broad view of the media in DC, as well as transcripts from my in-depth interviews with 15 people in traditional and new media about their work and learning experiences.

I spent the last year developing case studies of each of the 15 individual participants. I used the interview transcripts and all my other data to construct a narrative or a series of stories each individual could tell of their work and learning experience. These are very extensive documents that provide a lens onto the broad knowledge, deep skill, and innovative practices these very talented individuals draw upon to create traditional and new media in DC. These cases also tell a very compelling story about the broader context of media in DC – the tools, the values, the community, the economics, etc – that make their unique ways of work and learning possible.

Now I am faced with the daunting task of pulling from all these cases to tell a plausible story of work and learning in new media in DC. What makes this task particularly challenging is my aim to preserve the incredible richness of each of the individual narratives while also telling the very compelling story I discovered about work and learning in new media in DC.

So my resistance to blogging has given way to the developmental demands of the final stage of my research. I invite you to engage with me in making sense of it all. It is my hope that you will not only find what I post here interesting, but that you also find something of practical valuable.

Before I end this first post, let me clarify my focus in this blog.

This blog is not about new media theory, practices, and trends. There are plenty of blogs and resources focused on interesting developments and perspectives on the media.

This blog is about the way new media is changing, or not changing the way people work and learn. In this blog, I plan to continue to explore the affect new media tools, practices, norms, values, and relationships is having on how people perceive and experience their work and how they learn in and from the work they do.

That said, what affect has new media had on your work and learning?

8 comments:

  1. Hi Ellen,
    Sounds interesting. I am looking forward to reading more about the people you engaged with and the theories you are constructing around your experiences with them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ellen - I too am a blog convert - glad you dove in! I agree that the blog is a terrific place to "cook" ideas... people aren't used to that, but that is the way it is going. It becomes really participatory.

    My new blog tracks a discernment process of where I will land once I finish my masters degree. I am in geneva on an internship and looking at all my postings through the lenses of intuition, home, connection, vision and power. witnessweaver.blogspot.com.

    Best of luck with all! I look forward to following your progress - and will steal some of your bullet points of how a blog is useful for an upcoming presentation. You showed up just in time!! Thank you!! Paulette

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on your new blog!

    New media hasn't changed my life...it is my life!

    ReplyDelete
  4. People are right - it is cool to open up my blog to find comments.

    Thanks all for your encouragement, I hope I don't disappoint.

    And Peter, I should have anticipated you response, too funny.

    Ellen

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi. As a "new media" (is it really "new"?) journalist, I look forward to reading about what you discover through your research studies. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks TBB - you raise a good question - I have been thinking about changing the descriptor from 'new' to 'social' media - what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dear Ellen,
    I find your blog quite interesting. I am not really sure if my job/profession is considered "real world," but I find myself grappling with these issues all of the time in education. Our (teachers') problem is that our foundations are rooted in tradtional education and sometimes doing things that way that they have always been done. We tend to teach the way we have been taught. The problem is that younger generations do not function this way. Kids, these days, are under the impression that they can multi-task continuously. They spend their waking moments connected to everything - via cell phone, email, messaging and even playing Xbox games in the wee early morning hours with people in other parts of the world. Children have a much higher and faster learning curve when it comes to technology that the old folks. We drag our feet as we are forced to live in their world. Students have come to expect new media. Teachers do not know how to deliver it. For example, I am finding lots of fantastic info via podcasts. My students don't want to just LISTEN. They expect edutainment. So I have found video podcasts. However, they only work on an ipod touch or iPhone. They run $299-$399. What teacher has that extra money lying around? Schools do not provide them for us. If we have them on our own, there is no training. Some intrinsically motivated teachers may teach themselves but something (time-wise) would suffer. (Who would pick my kids up from day care, who would make dinner, pack lunches, etc.) I would need a wife! Wait - there's more. I have a SmartBoard in my classroom. I love it. I use it every day. I can connect it to my computer and do really cool things. HOWEVER, there is no way to connect an ipod directly to a smartboard - I would have to connect it through my computer back on my desk. So - technology is there. It's cool and inviting - for me.
    So many other teachers are perhaps afraid of not knowing more than their students - giving up a smidge of control. As the world progresses technologically, we need to move from being the tradiitonal teacher in the front to being the guide on the side not knowing all of the answers.

    So - how does new media play a role in my job? It invites me, calls to me, frustrates me, amazes me but sometimes prevents me from helping kids learn to pass a traditional test. Will the NCLB laws continue to tell us how and what to test?

    Have a good day.

    Sincerely,
    Jean
    PS - again, i find your blog quite interesting - congrats

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello everyone -
    I apologize for my spelling mistake!!! Ellen - don't let this minor mishap change your opinion of me! I promise to pay attention to spellcheck in the future!
    -Jean

    ReplyDelete